Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Goals

All of you that read this blog have read what I went through in the past two months. I have written enough of the sappy depressing stuff about it, tonight I write about one of the many great things the experience did for me. It made me really stop and think about my life and what I want for myself. I have realized most of my dreams so I didn't need to worry about that, have a house, great hubby, amazing daughter, wonderful family and a job I love. I am truly blessed. The thing that I started to think a lot about was health. I realized that I wanted to be as healthy as possible in order to stick around as long as possible. Although I never used to want to talk about weight because it is so taboo and embarrassing when you are young, I have no issue discussing it now.

I have always struggled with my weight. I have been up, I have been down, sometimes relatively thin (as close as I get to that) and sometimes quite heavy. About 7 weeks ago I decided to join Weight Watchers. I had done it before and was successful at it in the past. My sister and I decided we were going to do it together. I started paying attention to my eating choices and attempting to walk every day. It is 7 weeks later and I have lost just under 18 pounds. I feel great and have begun to remember why it makes so much sense to make better food choices. I feel so much more comfortable and my body just feels good.

It really doesn't even have much to do with appearance for me, it is way more important for me to feel good and healthy. Part of the reason that this has become important to me also is due to the fact that I have a daughter now. I see the little girls in the media and what is thought of as cute and it makes me sad. Not much has changed in the world since I was younger, thin is still in. I remember being called awful things by my peers because I wasn't thin in my childhood. I hope with all of my heart that my daughter never has to go through that. Because of this hope for her, I want to do all I can to help her be healthy. In order for me to teach her to be healthy, I need to be healthy myself. She will learn from what I model.

This brings me to my next goal. A woman I currently work with, who has become a good friend has inspired me to try to attain a goal I never thought I could meet. Ironically I have always wanted to do this, I just never thought I could. I am going to do a triathlon in July. I have never been much of an athlete. Yeah, I play some sports for fun, but as far as running, biking or swimming long distance, that has never been my forte. I have always admired people that could run races, or my husband who bikes 80 miles for fun. I feel so empowered and excited about this. I can't wait to be able to say that I achieved this goal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Go Jill! It's going to be awesome!

Anonymous said...

GO JILL!!!!
You are an inspiration to us all!!!

The Halyburtons said...

Jill, you are amazing. I wish I had the get up and go that you do. Maybe I can take your lead and do the same. (the becoming healthier thing, not the triathlon thing... that would be too crazy for me!)

Melanie said...

I can't wait either! Wooh!

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Gosh Jill I am a gabber and could say so much, but I won't take up everyone's space. I just have to let you know I am estatic for what you have overcome. I mean by the emotional roller coaster of possibly being ill to overcoming that and even more. I admire your determination and I hope you kick butt for yet this next dream and goal for the future. see I am gabby
:) take care The older Holmes woman ( Dawn)