Friday, April 13, 2012

Half Marathon

I've thought a lot about how I feel about the fact that just one week ago I accomplished something that I spent my lifetime thinking I couldn't. I've posted on here before, when doing the triathlons, about how I never thought I could achieve these physical endurance tests due to who I have been in the past with my weight, etc. It's funny because people will refer to me now as words such as "athlete", "runner", "skinny", etc. and I still cannot for the life of me see myself through those glasses. It's still a daily struggle for me. I still have a warped view of my body image. I still worry all the time that I will fall back into old habits and return to a place that I hope I never do. I feel good about myself for the first time in all of my life. I like the way I look. When I go shopping, I am excited now, not frustrated and disgusted. It is a good place to be and I am proud. When I finished this half marathon I cried. I cried because I was so overcome with emotion and what it meant for me. I ran for 2 hours and 28 minutes. Straight. It was the hardest thing I have EVER done physically. I had to talk myself through it at times during the race because it was hard. There were points that I felt like just stopping. But I didn't. I kept going because I knew I could. I pictured my two girls at the finish line. I knew they would be there cheering for me. The most important thing to me is showing my girls that they can achieve whatever they set their mind to. I know that they learn that by watching me. So I keep going. For them.





No comments: