Friday, April 11, 2008

Losing Grams...

Many of you read my post just a couple months ago explaining that we had to put Grams into a nursing home and how hard that was for all of my family. Unfortunately we have begun to experience something a lot harder than that was and we just weren't prepared for this. Grams appears to have suffered a stroke since moving into the nursing home and on top of that is suffering from severe dementia that had begun to show its nasty signs prior to grams moving, but according to her doctor, the move out of the comfort of the familiar surrounding of her own home put the onset of dementia into overdrive.

Grams still knows who we all are, but outside of that knowledge has lost all grip on reality. She lives most of her days in fear of "the bad guys" chasing her. The bad guys have chased her out of her wheelchair two times now causing her to fall and require a trip to the hospital for stitches. She is not who she once was, in fact, there is no trace of that person anymore and it is purely heartbreaking. The hardest part of it is that it literally feels like it happened overnight.

When Grams first went to the nursing home she was still making us laugh with her hilarious comments and telling the stories we had heard a million times. She would light up at the sight of Hadley and would sit and talk and visit for as long as you would stay. Now when you arrive there is this split second of hope when she first sees you and says "hi sweetie", but that moment passes in an instant and she retreats back to her fear and confusion. Every day is a new story of something that is happening to her and it never makes any sense.

A wise friend of mine said to me last weekend when I called her in tears after leaving Grams, "it is God's way of helping you let go". She explained that she was really close to her grandfather and if God would have taken him before he lost who he was she wouldn't have been ready. Instead, because of what he became she felt relief when he was finally at peace. I thought that was a wonderful way of looking at it and it has helped me find comfort.

There is only one problem with that. I am okay if I have to let Grams go, I know it is time and she lived an amazing life. I just have one request and it breaks my heart that I can't have it.... I just want one more day, no, not even a day, just one more hour with the Grams I knew just two months ago. The one who told me stories that I loved to listen to about how she grew up, the one who made me cry with laughter at the things she would say, the one I have known all of my 30 years and love with all my heart. I miss her so.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill....I am so sorry to hear this. I remember just from working with you how close you are with her. Our prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Oh My gosh Jill.... I occasionally check your blog when checking Kev and Becks. I love seeing all your sweet pics of Hadley.
Although Today.... reading your entry. My heart breaks for you, and your family. I am in Tears with the overwhelming emptiness you feel within your heart for your Grandma. I lost my first grandparent 3 years ago. I know he is out of pain, but the ache remains as if we let him go yesterday.
I know it will be hard, but the wonderful memories that you have shared will bring some comfort.
Please know our thoughts are with you.
Dawn, Pete, Trev and KY Holmes

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Again, your post touches so many!
I had a similar situation with my grandmother before she passed, I so wanted one last moment of her as I knew her, but then I realized - I was so blessed to have so many of those moments that all I had to do was close my eyes and remember. Those memories are true blessings and her getting to know Hadley is also a blessing. Just close your eyes Jill, Grams will always be there.
We love you guys. Our prayers are with you as well. M&M O

The Myers Family said...

Our hearts are full for you and your family, Jill. You are in our thoughts, as always.

Love,
The Myers Family