Saturday, May 31, 2008

My friend Mel




If we are lucky in life we have one of those friends that is always there.

I have been exceptionally fortunate in my life to have more than one, but one of those people is my friend Melanie. Mel and I became close in high school and ever since have always been there for each other. After high school she went to Colorado for the summer and my step mom and I took a road trip out to see her. In college we spent many a night on the phone with each other and had several trips to each others campuses for a visit. When she moved to D.C. (the first time) I used to scavenge the airlines for deals to go see her. Whenever she is home we make a point to see each other. It's just always been that way, we have never drifted.

Of course the frequency of our visits and phone calls has become less in our crazy lives, but it never matters, it always feels as though we talked yesterday even if it has been months. She was the one who stayed with me the night before my wedding, she came to meet Hadley the day after she was born, she always answered the phone when I was having a rough time, she's always been there. I hope that I have returned the favor to her, I sure have tried.

Tonight was one of those exciting phone calls that make your heart leap because your friend has good news. Melanie and her boyfriend, Anson, are engaged and I am so excited for them. Congrats Mel, I love you!

No comments: