Thursday, January 18, 2007

Baby, turn over PLEASE!!!!

Okay, so I am getting another lesson in the world of "things don't always go how you think they will". I had my 36 week doctor appointment yesterday and received some disappointing news, the baby is breech. Now, this is not world ending, it's not like there is something wrong with the baby. But, the deal is, if this little one doesn't turn over by 37 weeks, we are going to have to schedule a cesarean section, and that is exactly what I didn't want to have to have. Again, this is not the end of the world, in fact, there are even some perks to the idea. We would be able to schedule it and know for sure the day that the baby would be born, there would be no waking in the middle of the night to my water breaking, I wouldn't have to go into labor, etc. However, there is also, at the same time, some disappointment in the thought of never getting to experience the way it is "supposed to happen". There is almost some feelings of failing as a woman, like this is what we are supposed to do and I may not get that chance. Also, the vision of my delivering included Mike and I in the nice little birthing rooms they have with Mike coaching me and me pushing through the pain to end up with a little baby that would be immediately put in my arms after it was born. It did not include an operating room with my stomach cut open and Mike sitting behind a sheet with me while my arms are taped down and someone having to hold the baby at my head after it is born for our first meeting. Again, I don't mean to be so negative about this, in the end we will still get a little baby out of the deal, it just wasn't what I was envisioning and that is, at least initially, a little disappointing. So, Mike and I will spend the next week coaxing the baby to do a flip so we can give this a shot the "natural" way. However, if it doesn't move, I think I'll adopt my doctor's philosophy. She said at my appointment that she likes to view it as though there is a reason the baby is breech. I think I'll choose to look at it that way, maybe the baby being born by c-section saved us from something unpleasant that would have happened if it was born otherwise. In the end, we will still have our little one arrive and really that is all that matters....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your doctor is a very smart lady.

Anonymous said...

Your doctor is a very smart lady.